Subject: RE: Updated Constrained OQL proposal

I just noticed that your last message had Bcced the list. The following
response had been sent to you privately by me thinking you had sent me a
private message. So here is a public response.

Mathew please be specific about your issue with classification
definition.

Also I assume that by find*() you mean what I call a focused query
approach. I
defined it as follows:

-----
A focused query is one where the query interface is fixed to do a
specific query
task. A focused query approach pre-supposes what the client would wish
to wish
to search for. Focused queries are defined statically by the Registry
interface.
Focused queries are analogous to calling statically defined methods that
have a
fixed signature.

The current “browse and drill down” queries of the Registry are examples
of
focused queries. The UDDI find_business_by_name query is another example
of a
focused query.
---

The issue I stated regarding focused queries is again cut and pasted:

----
Focused queries have the following problems:
1. They pre-suppose what the client will wish to query since they do not
have
the ability to build complex queries from simpler predicates.
2. They are a maintenance headache since the Registry must support a
separate
interface for each supported query
3. They are not easy to use because the client has to remember separate
query
syntaxes for each query.
Based on the reasons above, a constrained ad hoc query is recommended as
requirement for Registry query interface.

-----

In essence focused queries suffer from a combinatorial explosion
problem. Please
correct me if that is not what you meant by find*(). Note that the
current 3
browse and drill down queries are example of focused queries. Focused
queries do
not meet our requirements.

Matthew MacKenzie wrote:

> Farrukh,
> I read your "explorations", and I could argue about them - but to no
end.  I
> don't really like the XPath approach in the final analysis, which I
stated
> below.  On a side note, all I really noticed from your explorations
was that
> something better has to be done for classification definition.
>
> Don't try to discount the point of my message, find*().  If you had
read my
> message all the way to the end you would have seen that I brushed off
XPath.

> --
> Matthew MacKenzie
> VP Research & Development
> XML Global Technologies, Inc.

methods, and
> > skirt the QL issue like they have done in UDDI.  I know that if
OQL/SQL is
> > used today, we will regret it tomorrow - especically when XML Query
> produces
> > something.
> >
> > <fn>
> > Just curious. How does XML Global store metadata for their registry?

> > </fn>
> >
> > Can't you guess?  We have our own native XML database that uses
QUILT as
> its
> > QL.  This really is immaterial, however - we could easily support
OQL if
> we
> > had to, it is just wrong in my mind, as the metadata is defined in
XML.

> > The find*() approach will certainly scratch your OO itch, so what is
the
> > problem with that idea?
> >
> > :-P
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Matt
> >
> > BTW Sorry about mis-spelling your name.
> >
> > Matthew MacKenzie wrote:
> >
> > > Farrukh,
> > >
> > > Is "mapping to SQL" a requirement of regrep adhoc query?  Your
proposal
> > > stinks of technology bias, and I hope the group recognizes that.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Matthew MacKenzie
> > > VP Research & Development
> > > XML Global Technologies, Inc.

Farrukh

begin:vcard
n:Najmi;Farrukh
tel;work:781-442-0703
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.sun.com
org:Sun Microsystems;Java Software
adr:;;1 Network Dr. MS BUR02-302;Burlington;MA;01803-0902;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:najmi@east.sun.com
fn:Farrukh Najmi
end:vcard