Subject: RE: Updated Constrained OQL proposal

Farrukh,

Yes indeed!  I agree with the issues and factors noted here.

So now at least we understand the problem domain.

Thanks, DW.
Message text written by Farrukh Najmi

-----
A focused query is one where the query interface is fixed to do a
specific query
task. A focused query approach pre-supposes what the client would wish
to wish
to search for. Focused queries are defined statically by the Registry
interface.
Focused queries are analogous to calling statically defined methods that
have a
fixed signature.

The current “browse and drill down” queries of the Registry are examples
of
focused queries. The UDDI find_business_by_name query is another example
of a
focused query.
---

The issue I stated regarding focused queries is again cut and pasted:

----
Focused queries have the following problems:
1. They pre-suppose what the client will wish to query since they do not
have
the ability to build complex queries from simpler predicates.
2. They are a maintenance headache since the Registry must support a
separate
interface for each supported query
3. They are not easy to use because the client has to remember separate
query
syntaxes for each query.
Based on the reasons above, a constrained ad hoc query is recommended as
requirement for Registry query interface.

-----

In essence focused queries suffer from a combinatorial explosion
problem. Please
correct me if that is not what you meant by find*(). Note that the
current 3
browse and drill down queries are example of focused queries. Focused
queries do
not meet our requirements.

<