Subject: Re: Rawlins Comments on R&R Info Model and Services Spec

Scott,

Even if I accepted the feasibility of your architectural vision (which
I don't), we are still left with three major issues:

1)  Feature creep - Your references to X12X/SITG and UN/CEFACT/TMWG in
this
discussion are totally irrelevant.  The governing authority is the ebXML
Requirements Spec, which has no mention of any such requirements in the
section
detailing R&R requirements.  The fact that you did talk about them in
your
business domain document, where I also objected to them,  still does not
validate the requirements since that document was never voted on by the
full
membership.  If I were in QRT, I would recommend rejecting the RIM on
this
basis.

2)  Appropriate forum - Hosting software components in the registry
implies to
me that they will be sold - either on a one-by-one basis or by
subscription.  I
have no problem with some interested group of vendors extending the R&R
spec to
provide such functionality, but I think it is inappropriate for us in
this forum
to be doing the design work for what is essentially a for-profit use of
the
registry.  I will not donate any of my time to such an effort, even for
review.

3)  Priorities - Even if our consensus holds against my first two points
here,
there is still a significant issue in that major required functionality,
such as
full support for ebXML Core Components, is still not achieved.  If we
are to
succeed in this enterprise we must fully support the core features of
ebXML
before we work on nice-to-haves.

I will vote against any R&R specifications which do not adequately
support our
core features, especially if they also contain out of scope
functionality.

Cheers,