Subject: Re: Rawlins Comments on R&R Info Model and Services Spec

re:
    Line Range: 399-402, table
    Type: Technical
    Issue or Rationale: No valid case for including support for
    Object_Type_Software_Component in this specification
    Suggested Change: Remove

From the few who have participated in this discussion, I'm the only one lining
up behind *my* viewpoint so I think it's time to bow to consensus, especially
since this is a somewhat minor part of the registry's functionality.

I do want to clarify a point, though, perhaps primarily for Scott's benefit.
It's not that I don't understand your architectural vision (of downloadable
components linked to business process models) or think that it might not be
nifty if it worked.  I see no huge technical obstacles to making it work, and
think it would be very nice if it did.  My concerns are and always have been
related to feasibility.   Those concerns center on whether or not there will be
a sufficiently small number of business process models for application vendors
to cost effectively support them.  My experience in EDI suggests that this will
not be the case without a great deal of normalization of both business practices
as well as how organizations choose to use application software.   I personally
don't see either happening any time soon.  If you have analysis and data to
support a case for a relatively small number of business process models, I would
be quite willing to review them and be convinced otherwise.  However, failing
that I must rely on my own experience.  There are also issues related to
software vendor cost models, release practices, and security (to name just a
few), but these are secondary.

At any rate, if a few folks can implement your vision and benefit from it, I
suppose it's worthwhile to support it.  I'm just not holding my breath for it to
become commonplace.

Cheers,

Mike