Subject: Centralized Registry Discovery Mechanism

Scott,

Is this progressing? I have not seen any discussion about centralized
registry discovery on this or the other boards. I would be happy to help
this effort if needed. Has the idea of a registry CPP been broached to the
TP group?

I believe the "who" is quite important. Leaving it to unknown private groups
will dilute the usefulness. For example, in our home town, we have left the
yellow pages business to the private sector and the result is a dozen books,
with none giving a comprehensive listing! More than likely there are several
companies that want to cash in on this aspect of ebXML (perhaps even some
ebXML contributors) but I believe that leaving it to the general private
sector, and leaving this to be decided after May is a mistake. If there is a
private organization, be it UDDI or other, one should be chosen, the
registration process briefly outline, and that organization recommended in
the ebXML registration process description. If this includes a special CPP,
then it should be described and referenced as well.

-----Original Message-----
From: Nieman, Scott [mailto:Scott.Nieman@NorstanConsulting.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 27, 2001 9:01 AM
To: 'Krishna Sankar '; 'Petit, John '
Cc: 'ebxml-regrep@lists.ebxml.org '
Subject: RE: ebXML and UDDI - Making the Whole Greater than the Sum

I don't disagree about the scope of UDDI vs. ebXML.

From looking at our requirements statements, I do think that a fundamental
need is distributed registries.  We have that planned for the May release.
I believe the requirement is to be able to "publish" a query to a set of
distributed registries, and retrieve links back to the result set.  In doing
so, not all registries should execute each query, only the "types" of
queries that it knows it could potentially return a resultset.

In order to accomplish that, I believe that there needs to be a mechanism to
resolve registries via the "registry of registries" that John is suggesting.
Combine that with  pub/sub plumbing and I believe we are set.  I am
suggesting that a form of CPP for a given registry needs to be included in
the "registry of registries", perhaps including "types" of queries,
"subscriptions" (maybe not) etc.  Keyword is "perhaps" since this discussion
has yet to occur.

I don't care about the "who" aspect.  Just the "how".  Who hosts this is
another topic altogether.  Also, we need another acronymn for the "registry
of registries" if that is the architecture going forward.  I am having
trouble typing "registry of registries" over and over.

Is this the architecture?  Alternatives for debate?

This is parallel work that needs to be started soon, if not now.

Scott