Subject: Re: Distributed Registry Proposal Approach

On Sun, 01 Apr 2001 16:32:11 -0400, Farrukh Najmi wrote:

>Most of us are not privy to what went on in StC. We heard it second hand from
>Scott and at least I am not sure what the StC wanted. The requirements are not
>clear.

Farrukh,

I am not going to address how the interface between the StC and
the Project Team is to work. Scott passed along the information
from the last call, and if I am not mistaken you were at the StC
meetings in Vancouver where this topic did come up as well.

As to not being sure what the StC wants, let me make it clear that
this not as much of a StC request, but that of all ebXML potential
users. This issue of "discovery" has been put forward many times.

As to your comments and question in regard to the focus, I will
try to keep it brief since I have no intention to start another
debate. This team needs to move on and produce its final
specification NOW!

As to my answer, let me point to what Mike Rawlin's said to you -
it is a good summary where the team is standing and where it needs
to go. This team is already late with having a specification that
meets the needs. To continue to argue which way is best, you
option are limited, to be exact, you have no time to come up with
your own solution. Maybe with unlimited time this team can invent
a perfect solution. But given that you have no time, find a
solution that meets as much as possible for what is needed. UDDI
seems to be the answer for the problem we trying to address, that
of the yellow pages (finding out who is a chocolate producer). It
may not be perfect but it addresses the issue. ebXML will provide
the green pages (how to do business with any particular chocolate
producer). That is where your teams work comes in. This team has
done a good job on providing the stuff that UDDI is not providing.

So let me again urge you all to stop debating and move forward.
The user has a simple requirement to discovery, that of a single
entry point for finding a chocolate producer that is ebXML
enabled. UDDI can be that entry point technically and commercially
since the industry has indicated support behind it. Let's use it,
including SUN ONE. Even if we had time to reinvent our own
solution would it ever be implemented knowing that there is a
similar solution with large support? I wish nothing more than that
then world would only use ebXML, but that simply is a wish knowing
that we are not alone out there. We have a lot to loss, let's not
be our worst own enemy by ignoring market trends. UDDI does not
supply all the answers, that is where ebXML comes in. The same way
SOAP did not do it all and we had to add.

Regards,

Klaus
--
Klaus-Dieter Naujok                          ebXML & TMWG Chair
Netfish Technologies, Santa Clara, CA, Chief Technology Officer