Subject: RE: Distributed Registry Proposal Approach

Please consider the attached ppt that shows a potential architecture that
includes 1) and  2).  I am in an all day meeting, but I will check emails
during breaks.

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: Farrukh Najmi [mailto:najmi@east.sun.com]
Sent: Sunday, April 01, 2001 3:32 PM
To: Klaus-Dieter Naujok
Cc: ebxml-regrep@lists.ebxml.org

Klaus,

Most of us are not privy to what went on in StC. We heard it second hand
from
Scott and at least I am not sure what the StC wanted. The requirements are
not
clear.

I had attempted to tease apart the requirements as follows below. Please
comment on which requirement is the focus of this StC suggestion.

1. Registry of Registries
----------------------
The use case is that the user goes to a (or the) registry of registries and
discovers the registry that is likely to have the kind of content they care
about. For instances an automotive buyer may search for automotive
registries.
Once they find an appropriate registry they go to it and discover potential
parties.

The team felt this option may be doable within our time constraints. John
Petit
took an action item to make a proposal to the team.

2. Federated Registries
---------------------
The use case is that a user sends a federated query to a group of registries
that have voluntarily united in a federation based on some common purpose or
specialization. A federation may be viewed by the client as a single logical
registry. A federated query from a client to any federation member produces
unified response from the members of the federation as if they were
logically
one registry. Thus the user can search multiple registries in a federation
with
a single federated query.

Although there is a proposal in this area, the team felt this may be better
left for phase 2.

3. List *ALL* Businesses in UDDI with pointer to ebXML Registry for Details
---

The use case is that every business that is in an ebXML registry is also in
the
UDDI registry. The user discovers it in UDDI and then using some handle in
UDDI
to the ebXML registry goes to the ebXML registry for the details. Note that
this use case is different from registry of registries since what gets
discovered is the business and not the registry. The registry is just an
association from the business that was discovered.

This use case generated the most confusion. The team felt that this use case
essentially makes the ebXML registries, classification and discovery not get
used since *ALL* discovery to find the business happens in UDDI. If we did
this
what would have been the point of building a substantial classification and
discovery mechanism in our registry. The team agreed that this option did
not
make sense.

I would like your clarification on which requirement did the StC suggest and
correct any misconception in the use cases outlined above.