Subject: Re: RIM and RS Issue: Identifier Usage (UDDI and URN)

Michael,

In regards to the difference between name in ExternalIdentifier
and id, my understanding is,

name in ExternalIdentifier:
    Additional(supporting) information about RegistryEntry and
    it doesn't have to be globally unique. Examples are in RIM.

id:
    globally unique id.

> Is one composed of the other?
 I don't think there's a semantic relationship between those two.

> Can a name be null?
 yes, Multiplicity of ExternalIdentifier is 0..*, as you can see
 in RIM.

yutaka yoshida
Sun Microsystems

 > Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 13:00:42 -0700
 > From: Michael Joya <mike.joya@xmlglobal.com>
 >
 > Len Gallagher wrote:
 > >
 > > Michael,
 > >
 > > Thanks for your comments and the time you took to compose them.
 > >
 > > I don't really dispute anything you say -- but I still want the freedom as
 > > a submittor to give URN identifiers to the objects I register. And it's so
 > > cheap to give me that freedom - just a single new attribute in
 > > RegistryEntry and in Organization, the enforcement of an alternate key on
 > > that attribute for RegistryEntry and Organization instances, and the
 > > maintenance of a private, three-column index to map easily back and forth
 > > among UUID's and URN's so you can give me the performance I want no matter
 > > which identifier I choose to use.
 > >
 > > Oh -- I might dispute one thing. I agree that the first <arbitrary
 > > namespace> in a URN is currently meaningless, but that's pretty easy to
 > > rectify. I'd expect "ebxml" and "oasis" and a few other names to be
 > > immediately registered, thereby giving those groups the authority to
 > > further structure their namespaces internally. In fact, we could begin just
 > > by turning internet domain namespaces around for each company, e.g.
 > >
 > >   urn:com:xmlglobal
 > >
 > >   urn:gov:nist
 >
 >  Yes, but people will still invent their own semantics for identifying
content if you give them the means. I figured that was what ExternalIdentifiers
were for.

 >  While we're on the topic of identifiers, can anyone provide a distinction
between "name" and "id" in a registry object? Is one composed of the other?
Please give examples. I understand that id is implied because the server
generates it if the client does not provide it. Does the server also generate a
name? Can a name be null in the underlying information model?