Subject: Re: Sun / IBM joint submission on using UDDI to locate ebXML Registries

Scott, Sean et al,

Thanks for the good work on this proposal.

A few comments on the document follow:

The goal of registering an  ebXML registry in UDDI is to allow the user to
discover the CPP for that registry
rather than to discover services offered by the registry (e.g. search, join
services as shown in the document). This comment specifically is concerned
with the section titled "Other Services" under "Ongoing Considerations" which
describes how to register services in UDDI that are resident in an ebXML
Registry. The rationale for this concern is that:

a) This is not related to the Registry of Registries functionality
b) It begs the question "What value does the ebXML Registry play other than to
provide a repository for the ebXML Registry"

The main focus of the document should be to provide discovery of the URL to
the CPP for the ebXML registry and how to identify and categorize a particular
instance of an ebXML registry in UDDI. I agree with the documents suggestion
of creating one tModel to mark the name space for ebXML Registry that is used
by all ebXML Registries. When an individual registry instance is registered
with UDDI, the tModel that provides the technical fingerprint for that
registry instance should provide access (through overURL of its overviewDoc)
to the CPP for that registry instance.

I hope that the current version of the document can be modified to address the
above concerns. With those technical concerns addressed, I would support
having a reference to this document from the ebXML Registry specifications.

Farrukh

Scott Hinkelman wrote:

> ebXML RegRepers,
> On behalf of both IBM and Sun, the authors submit this document on using
> UDDI to locate ebXML Registries for consideration by the ebXML Registry
> group and its leadership.
>
> (See attached file: Sun-IBM-UDDI-ebXML.pdf)
>
> Thanks,
> Scott Hinkelman, Senior Software Engineer
> XML Industry Enablement
> IBM e-business Standards Strategy
> 512-823-8097 (TL 793-8097) (Cell: 512-940-0519)
> srh@us.ibm.com, Fax: 512-838-1074

>                              Name: Sun-IBM-UDDI-ebXML.pdf
>    Sun-IBM-UDDI-ebXML.pdf    Type: Acrobat (application/pdf)
>                          Encoding: BASE64

begin:vcard
n:Najmi;Farrukh
tel;work:781-442-0703