Subject: RE: Help needed on using ebXML Registry

I apologize if this addition/correction to Farrukh's reply is off-thread but
I would like to make a slight correction.  With respect to Farrukh's
statement, "...Unlike other registries (e.g. UDDI), the ebXML Registry specs
do not describe how products and services are represented in the
registry...," I state the following.

The UDDI specification DO NOT DESCRIBE how PRODUCTS are represented within
the UDDI Registry.
The UDDI specifications DO DESCRIBE how SERVICES are represented within the
UDDI Registry.

Joel

-----Original Message-----
From: Farrukh Najmi [mailto:najmi@east.sun.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2001 5:59 AM
To: Rosita Marin
Cc: ebxml-discussion; ebxml-regrep@lists.ebxml.org

Rosita,

In ebXML different specifications address different aspects of the ebXML
B2B architectural stack. The registry specs define how arbitrary content
is published, discovered and retrieved from the registry using the
interface described in Registry Services Spec (RSS version 1.0
http://www.ebxml.org/specs/ebRS.pdf ) and Registry Information Model (RIM
version 1.0  http://www.ebxml.org/specs/ebRIM.pdf ).

Unlike other registries (e.g. UDDI), the ebXML Registry specs do not
describe how products and services are represented in the registry. This
description of products, services etc. are defined by other ebXML
specifications. For example the Business Process Specification (
http://www.ebxml.org/specs/ebBPSS.pdf )
defines how to represent business processes (generalization of services)
in ebXML. I am not aware of any ebXML spec defining product description.
The closest area may be Core Components team. Registry clients are free to
store any type of content which allows for custom product descriptions
syntax and custom product catalogs.

Please let us know if you have any more questions.

Farrukh