Subject: ebXML Reqs Grp - Draft Minutes - 21/21/99

ebXML Requirements Group Mates,
Hope you all had a Merry Christmas and are about to have Happy New Year.

Here are my summarized notes from the 12/21 Teleconference.
Let me know if you have a drastic need to correct anything now...else wait
for the 1/7 telecon

 <<ebxml-reqs-122199.txt>>
Tom Warner
Manager, Electronic Commerce Initiatives
Integrated Digital Environment Program
Aircraft and Missiles Systems
The Boeing Company
(T) 314-232-0615
(F) 314-777-1704
e-mail: thomas.warner@boeing.com

12/22/99
UN/CEFACT -OASIS ebXML
ebXML Requirements Group
Teleconference 12- 21-1999
Summary Report

Chair:    Mike Rawlins (972) 783-9573
Secty:   Tom Warner  (314) 232-0615
Editor :  Mark Crawford
Attendees:  John Bozak, Tim Cochran, Rachel Foerster, Ravi Kacker, Mina Kawa,
Kim Lambert, Kit Lueder, Kathleen Tyson-Qua, Murray Maloney, Norbert Machula,
Marcia McLure, Don Rudie
Garret (?), Dwayne Nickull (arrived at the end)

Meeting Outline:
* Minutes from November San Jose Meeting will be obtained and placed on the list
serve
* Plan work to be done
* Review Mikes Requirements Outline from 12/3
* Identify authors for sections
* Determine next call

Minutes (condensed):
* Rawlins - wants a draft requirements document by 1/10
* Group - Maybe this is too ambitious...cant expect anyone to do much until
after the holidays ...some of the other groups are producing requirements for
our group.

* Rawlins - Did everyone read Mike's Requirements Outline Documents e-mailed
12/3? Can we use it as a starting point?
* Group -  Agreed - Use this outline as a starting point.  John Bozak unable to
read MS Word and suggested we use text for group work.  Group agreed.
* Rawlins - Will check with Naujok and Sutor for official documentation form but
agreed we'll use text for group work.

* Maloney - Suggested we establish a phone protocol (rules) for efficient tele-
meeting management.
* Group -  Agreed to the following - Pre-mail an agenda to facilitate group
direction.  Persons wanting to be recognized to speak will say their
name...Chair will add their name to speaker list and manage the list...above all
else PLEASE PAUSE regularly to allow all to be recognized...place your phone on
mute when not speaking (to eliminate background noise.)

* Rawlins - Read through his Requirements Outline and acknowledged Mark
Crawford's addition of a new section 6 for "Organizational Requirements".

* Rudie - Commented that European XML effort wants to insure that ebXML is
compatible with EDIFACT work and will not participate if they feel that it is
not.
* Rawlins - Would expect that ebXML requirements will be compatible with current
EDI requirements.  Suggest that this be included in the Requirements Outline as
section 2.2.2
* Rudie - Clarified that this is not an Application to Application Requirement
but a process or organizational requirements.
* Maloney - His observation based on similar experiences - It must be possible
for correlation to be made between new ebXML elements, data points and their

corresponding EDI data points.  But, there will also be new data points and
codes that do not correlate to anything in the existing EDI.
* Rawlins - Did not want to get into this amount of detail just now.

* Bozak - Suggestion - We must address the larger basic philosophy questions and
get them answered before we can begin to produce our Requirements.  Such as:
Should we be able to accommodate existing EDI?  Or, what are our long and short-
term requirements?  These are not in the Outline
* Group  - Agreed  - Suggestion 1 - Expand the Introduction Section to cover
philosophy questions.  Suggestion 2 - Perhaps every section should contain a
flag to identify whether the information is normative or not.  Suggestion 3 -
There should be 2 Main Sections to the Document...one being for Short Term
Requirements and the other being Long Term Requirements.  Suggestion 3 - Start
with a narrow scope in the Short Term section and scope up to the Long
Term...but should at least be EDIFACT compliant.  Suggestion 4 - Each section
should have its own requirements and then add a priority and time references.
* Maloney - Suggest that there be a time axis and an importance axis for each
requirement section.  These will need group discussion because each member will
have different views.

* Rawlins - Suggestion -  We try to identify the major issues and get a
consensus on these.  Then we can identify authors and start on assignments.
* Kacker - Suggestion - Get everyone who has an opinion to write one page max
and submit for group to collectively review.
* Bozak - Agreed - We need to get our collective views and directions on the
table for consolidation.
* Tyson - Suggestion - Use the papers just as they come in and just consolidate
them.  Wait until January and get a one page requirements paper from each of the
other work groups to add to our work.
* Rudie - Submitted his paper on 12/2/99.  Kenji Itoh and Mark Crawford have
already submitted papers.  All will resubmit to the List Serve

* Crawford - Requested Mike write up how we will determine consensus and come to
an agreement.
* Rawlins - Don't need paper... We will use a majority vote to determine
consensus.  If and when there is a major conflict we will give space in the
document for the minority view.

Actions:
* Rawlins -  requests that all group members write their "requirements opinion
paper" and post it to the list serve by 1/4/00.  (ebXML-
Requirements@lists.oasis-open.org)
* Crawford -  will pick them up from there and do some preliminary
consolidation.
* Rawlins will officially ask the other work groups to submit a single
requirement paper to our group (ASAP?)
* Cochran - Naujok and Sutor requested that DISA set up a list serve for ebXML
discussion groups.  Rawlins will follow up.

Next Meetings:
* 1/7/00 - 1130-1300 CST - Req's Teleconference - Host John Bozak to post/e-mail
particulars
* 1/31-2/4/00 - Orlando  - Full ebXML Meeting
* 5/8-12/00 - Brussels - Full ebXML Meeting