Subject: Re: revised requirements

Hara-san,

In the long run, we should consider multi-party TPAs but I believe that
this should wait for ebXML phase 2.

In our IBM Research project, we initially had some grammar for multi-party
TPAs.  We later realized that there are some significant open problems for
multiparty TPAs.  For example, when party B and Party C exchange messages,
that affects the state of the conversation.  Therefore, it is likely that
party A must include the messages between B and C in its conversation state
tracking.  That in turn seems to require extra messages, which may not be
desirable.  A second (and seemingly opposite) issue is that it was believed
that some of the information that is exchanged between B and C should be
able to be hidden from A (for example, a discussion of wholesale prices
between two subcontractors), both in the TPA itself and at run time.  As a
result of issues like these, we decided to focus on developing the 2-party
TPA and leaving multiparty TPAs for the future.

One can construct multiparty relationships by combining 2-party TPAs.
Supply chain is a natural example but combining 2-party TPAs should work
for any multiparty relationship.  This seems to require additional work by
the application process.  However, one might consider providing function in
the run-time middleware to assist with the correlations between TPAs.

Regarding multi-party relationships in the Requirements draft, I belive
that you are referring to item 6 under "The specification shall:".  This
refers to the use of 2-party TPAs for multiparty relationships.  If any has
suggestions for clarifying this point, please speak up.

Regards,
Marty

Martin W. Sachs
IBM T. J. Watson Research Center