Subject: RE: TPA and ebXML Header question

Henry,

... and I certainly agree with your first paragraph.

The last definition of RM groups included sequence numbers managed by the
RM function.  This may or may not be the same sequence numbers that might
be applied by an application (I believe they would be two different
fields).

One of the problems that I pointed out with the last RM groups proposal was
a potential for deadlock if the higher levels are all request-response and
everyone is waiting for responses while the RM group has not yet been
filled.  The API blocking function that I suggested exacerbates the
deadlock situation since if I am waiting for a "sent" response, the group
will never be filled since I will never send another message.  Clearly we
have the potential for at least two conflicting functions and maybe more,
so if we do all of them, something in the runtime will have to test for
conflicts in what optional functions are selected.

The Yale main library is a very ornate Gothic-style building.  Over one
doorway is the motto "Festina lente" which means "make haste slowly".  Very
applicable to the reliable messaging and ordering discussions.

Regards,
Marty

Martin W. Sachs
IBM T. J. Watson Research Center