Subject: Re: 24 hour turnaround remarks on RE: initial draft of CPP-CPA Specification

Dale,

Thanks for your quick response.  I agree that we need to discuss all of
these issues.  I want to give a few quick replies.

Transport Timeouts:  I have assumed that a transport-level implementation
does timeout and retry underneath the messaging service.  If this is not
the case, then perhaps we should remove the transport-level timeouts.

Secton 8.7.5.1, HTTP:  We are waiting for TRP to complete its definition of
synchronous messaging, at which point we will add what is necessary to
support it in the CPP and CPA.  We also have work to do on defining send
properties, which is where I think an indication of synchronous response
would go (at least for HTTP).

Section 8.8.2.3:  This section is defining timeout and retry for reliable
messaging, so there is one less level than you indicate.
Transport-level timeouts may or may not be needed (see above).  Timings at
the BP level relate to the time for a business to respond to a BP-level
request.  This is an entirely different issue from RM timeouts since it
relates to service response times rather than communication
errors/failures. Service response times are on an entirely different time
scale (hours, days, weeks, rather than seconds) and have different causes
and recoveries than communication timeouts.  So in my opinion, we do have
to deal with both communications (probably just RM) and business-level
timings, and both have to be specified.

Regarding "If a BP specifies some actual values for retry-related
parameters..."  The plan is for the BP collaboration protocol definition to
express characteristics such as timeouts as variable parameters and for the
CPA to record what is agreed upon and to cause the values of the BP
parameters to be set.  Presumably we would provide a set of those
parameters perhaps as attributes of <CollaborationProtocol> or by means of
a subelement similar to <Characteristics> under <DeliveryChannel>.  This is
another area where we are currently waiting for another team (BP) to
solidify its work.

Regards,
Marty

Martin W. Sachs