Subject: Re: CPA composition from multi-role CPPs

Duane,

A couple of comments on the scenarios:

Generally, it looks good.

The second paragraph states "After receiving verification that the format
and usage of a business scenario is correct, an acknowledgement...by the
registry" . I don't understand "format and usage of a business scenario".
The registry is application-independent. I don't see how it can possibly
verify anything about the business scenario.  I would not expect the
registry to check more than that the CPP can be parsed and that its
metadata conforms to the registry rules.  The latter is probably a check on
the registry's request form and not on the CPP itself. Furthermore if we
continue on the path of referencing rather than embedding the business
scenario, whatever checks the registry does on the business scenario
document will have been performed when the business scenario document was
submitted and would not have to be rechecked when a CPP referencing it is
submitted.

Third paragraph:  this paragraph states an assumption that it is the
discovering party that is responsible for performing any data
transformations into a form in which the discovered party can process it.
It is not obvious to me why there should be this restriction, even in an
example (since the example will convey an impression of what the correct
practice is).  A more appropriate scenario is that companies A and B agree
on the format and syntax of the documents to be exchanged.  If data
transformations are necessary to either company, that company performs the
transformation before sending or after receiving the document.

Fifth paragraph:  There is, of course, a bootstrapping issue here which
surfaces frequently.  If the two companies are negotiating a CPA via ebXML
messaging (or any messaging for that matter), they are performing a
business process that should be described by a negotiation CPA.  Then how
do they first negotiate the negotiation CPA?  The answer is probably that
vendors may wish to supply sets of CPA templates for common functions and a
CPA should be able to be negotiated from one of these templates by a quick
phone call.  Another alternative is a "middleman" negotiation service that
supplies a canned negotiation CPA to each of its customers.

Regards,
Marty

Martin W. Sachs
IBM T. J. Watson Research Center