Subject: RE: no synch vs asynch indicator in CPP/CPA

I agree with Dale's position regarding sync/async. In fact the Energy
industry has a requirement for both sync and async responses for the exact
same business process (purchase order/nomination), depending on the
interface used by a trading partner to launch a transaction. For example, a
large Energy company may use EDI (X12) to send a bulk upload of purchase
orders whereas a small trading partner would use an online, interactive
approach to submit one or two purchase orders. The interactive user expects
a response in seconds whereas the bulk user expects a response within 15
minutes. The exact same business process is being invoked within the backend
application system regardless of whether the data arrived via EDI or an
interactive session using web forms.

Of course it's not always a black/white decision. Occasionally a company
that normally submits transactions using EDI will use an online/interactive
session to submit purchase orders. A case in point is when someone needs to
order more energy
on a weekend, frequently the transaction is performed using an interactive
approach from a home computer.

ebXML must allow trading partners to utilize both modes of operation. It is
the trading partner's decision as to which method to use and when.

Dick Brooks
Group 8760
110 12th Street North
Birmingham, AL 35203
dick@8760.com
205-250-8053
Fax: 205-250-8057
http://www.8760.com/

InsideAgent - Empowering e-commerce solutions