Subject: Re: ebxml packaging and transport conference call

At 13:36 30/11/99 -0600, you wrote:
Rik,

I have  realized just now that you have fixed the conference call for
December 2...
As I told you I am not able to attend the meeting as I will be in a
conference tomorrow....
I initially thougth that you had changed the date of the meeting, but I see
now that
you haven't, probably because it is more suitable the 2ond for other people.
Anyway, perhaps you can send me an email summarising the discussion.
As for me, I am specially interested in security, and there is a couple of
things
that I have to comment:

1. In the document circulated in the list by David, and under the Security
topic, appear
requirements on signatures and confidentiality, but nothing is said on
secure acknowledge
of reception and non repudiation of receipt. I am talking about something
that it is
a real requirement in business process:  the
sender of a signed document wants to receive a signed document by the
receiver saying
that he has received the document he sent, and he wants to receive
something that can
demonstrate that indeed the document was received by the recipient
 As I said, this is a real requirement: in Spain we have set up a pilot on use
of EDI on internet among EANCOM users, and the  first thing they put on the
table was
that they wanted to have something demonstrating that the message had
reached the
recipient. In EDIFACT a special message has been defined for this purpose,
the
AUTACK message, that contains references to the messages received and digital
signatures of these messages, which provides to the sender with a proof of
that
the recipient actually received the message. I think that some similar
development
is needed in XML/EDI: a message, with a defined structure so that the
non-repudiation
of receipt is provided in the same way always.

2. On my contribution to the work of the group, I would like to focus on
security issues mainly.
In this way, I think that we should start by doing two things:

	a. Agreeing in the security services we would like to see in the XML/EDI
messages.

	b. As it seems that the other thing we should do is to carry out a review of
	existing security standards, we should agree in a structure of the review
documents,
	in terms of producing something coherent that facilitates comparisons and
summaries,
	and not get a set of documents completelly different....

	b. Reviewing existing security services and infrastructures documents and
standards.
	I put on the table the parts 5, 6, 7 and 9 of ISO9735 (EDIFACT syntax),
and I can
	commit myself to provide a reviewing document on them, but I can also
participate in
	the review of other security standards and documents (PKCS, OFTP,
W3Consortium
	document on digital signatures, S-MIME, PKI documents, etc.).

I think that we should arrive in the February meeting with this document
produced and a
decision taken on what our activity in the security field should be
afterwards (whether we
will produce additional specifications for other services, etc.)

Regards.

Juan Carlos.