Subject: RE: ebXML TP&R Overview & Requirements Doc diagrams

If we follow david's logic, our service could connect and be used easily by
other repositories that don't follow the details of the one ebxml is putting
in place. so i agree with david's take on this.... best regards, rik

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ebxml-transport@lists.oasis-open.org
[mailto:owner-ebxml-transport@lists.oasis-open.org]On Behalf Of David
Burdett
Sent: Monday, February 21, 2000 1:19 AM
To: Dick Brooks (E)
Cc: ebXML Transport (E-mail); Nikola Stojanovic

Dick

You say ...

>>>it appears that access to the repository is not part of the service
interface of the messaging system ... as I recall, it was decided that the
messaging service interface would provide a "service" for accessing the
repository (read & update)<<<

In a senses I think we are both right. My view is that:
1. We need a basic "Messaging Sservice" that can reliably exchange messages
over the net between any two parties that is completely independent of the
content or the payload of the message
2. We define a "Repository Management Service" that can be used to
read/update a repository that we identified.

The Repository Management Service would:
1. Have a Service Interface so that the content of the data in a repository
held locally could be maintained, and
2. Use the Service Interface of the Messaging Service to access the content
of repositories held remotely.

The attached diagram provides (I think) are more accurate representation
than my original one.

The rationale is that the Repository Management Service is really nothing
more than a distributed system that reads or updates data on local or remote
repositories that has a Service Interface to manage/access the repository
content.

I think that this type of "layering" is important as I think that eventually
we will want to describe a number of other Service Interfaces that will use
the basic messaging service interface, for example:
1. A Publish & Subscribe Interface
2. A Large Document Transfer Service (e.g. to transport multi-MB files
reliably by splitting them into several parts).

I'd appreciate your thoughts.