Subject: RE: What's the right forum for developing XML Messaging

almost every effort i know of in xml is waiting for schemas, because the
dtd's just are not rich enough to do what the ec world needs. most becuase
schemas are not standard yet are doing dtd's and anticipating schemas. that
will probably be our be what we end up doing in the end. however it is too
early to tell at this time... rik

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ebxml-transport@lists.oasis-open.org
[mailto:owner-ebxml-transport@lists.oasis-open.org]On Behalf Of David
Burdett
Sent: Friday, February 18, 2000 7:33 PM
To: 'Michie, Alan'; David Burdett
Cc: ebXML Transport (E-mail); IETF Trade (E-mail)

The IOTP specification (version 1.0) is now complete and should shortly be
issued as an informational RFC. This specification was developed before much
development work had been done on schemas. Therefore everything is defined
in terms of DTDs. I don't think that schemas will be used until version 2.0
of IOTP is developed. This is dependent on the feedback obtained from the
results of implementations of version 1.0 and the development of a separate
messaging specification.

For XML Messaging (and/or ebXML) I anticipate that both Schema and DTD
versions of the necessary documents will be developed as this does not
affect the document **instance**.

You can then:
o use either the DTD or the Schema depending on what meets your need best,
and
o if you choose the DTD, implement the validation and other rules implied by
the schema as code within your application.

Regards