Subject: Re:RE: Regarding the Thursday ebXML Conf Call

Perhaps we should do a better job of drawing a clear distinction between
the outer wrapper of an ebXML message (which is where MIME comes in) and
the various components of the message. As I recall we agreed that one of
the key components of an ebXML message is the header. The header will be an
XML document and the header analysis currently under way will presumably
spell out a generic header and an extension mechanism for handling optional
or domain specific headers. There will presumably be a number of other
components (e.g. routing info, manifest ...) that will all be in XML. I
thought we agreed that we want to deal with message payloads that may or
may not be XML documents. Again assuming I am on the right track, then the
question remains. How do we glue multiple objects, some in XML and others
in XYZ format, into a discreet message. I think MIME may serve a very
narrow purpose, i.e. as the glue. Is there an alternative glue standard
that is pure XML *and* can be described using an XML schema language ? Just
because multiple objects are glued together using MIME, does not
subsequently bind us to an SMTP infrastructure.  I think we all agree that
we would like to take a transport neutral approach. Am I correct in
assuming that the purist view is that we should only deal with XML payloads ?

Regards,
Nick

Senior Staff Engineer,
Java Software, Sun Microsystems Inc.