Subject: RE: MIME enveloping and Packaging work paper for Thursday con-cal l.

David,

Personally I was thinking along the lines of RFC 2387:

   "... The Multipart/Related media type is intended for compound objects
consisting of several inter-related body parts.  For a Multipart/Related
object, proper display cannot be achieved by individually displaying the
constituent body parts.  The content-type of the Multipart/Related object
is specified by the type parameter. The "start" parameter, if given,
points, via a content-ID, to the body part that contains the object
root.  The default root is the first body part within the Multipart/Related
body. The relationships among the body parts of a compound object
distinguishes it from other object types.  These relationships are often
represented by links internal to the object's components that reference the
other components.  Within a single operating environment the links are
often file names, such links may be represented within a MIME message using
content-IDs or the value of some other "Content-" headers. ..... "

I think the language above leaves room for specific applications e.g. usage
of URNs/URLs within an ebXML multipart - message. I may be wrong, but I
thought this came up in Orlando (may have been an off-line chat) and I
think your notion of a manifest is a good one. Hope this helps the
discussion in the next conf. call.

Nick

p.s. Is there a good reason for having the manifest within the header
structure as opposed to having the header point to the manifest (or vice
versa) ?