Subject: Re: Conf. Call follow-up

Gord,

I actually think we're in violent agreement, perhaps it's semantics. I'll use a
scenario to emphasize the point.

Imagine you're a large electric company with hundreds of trading partners which
you exchange several different types of transactions (invoices, purchase orders,
payments). Suppose you have to send a group of payments and purchase orders to a
trading partner, it sure would be efficient if you could "batch" these
transactions into a single payload and deliver the "batch" as one package. You
build a payload containing all  the transactions for a trading partner into a
"batch" and place it into an ebXML wrapper complete with headers and send to the
trading partner. If the trading partner has constructed an efficient system, the
payload (batch) would be instantaneously processed  using the internal systems
responsible for processing payments and purchase orders. Depending on the
"processing mode" (synchronous, asynchronous), an "application level" response
is sent indicating success or failure of the transactions contained in the
"batch". For this case I'll assume synchronous processing (RPC like), the entire
process including data exchange/process/acknowledgement occurs in seconds
(depending on size of payload) over a single socket.

The term batch in the above scenario refers to the packaging of objects as
opposed to "batch mode processing", which is where I believe the confusion lies.
Believe me, I'm not advocating batch mode processing.

Do we agree?

Dick Brooks
http://www.8760.com/