Subject: RE: Efficient XML - request for input

At 10:29 PM 3/8/00 -0800, Don Park wrote:
> >Interesting, but completely understandable.  I am assuming you
> >mean SMIL, not SML - SML is a programming language to the best
> >of my knowledge.  Parsing that I have done is always slower on
> >data that contains more attributes, CDATA and content, probably
> >as a result of the in-memory structures that need to be created
> >as these portions are discovered.
>
>SML I am refering to stands for Simple Markup Language, a strict
>subset of XML.  SML is XML minus DTD, attribute, CDATA, PI, comment,
>mixed-content, and all entity except numeric character entity.  So
>its syntax is just text and elements.  A SML document is an element.
>Its information model is basically name-value pair: a node has a name
>and a value.  a node value may be either a string or a collection of
>nodes.  Some XML folks don't SMILe when they hear about SML, but
>those of us at SML-DEV like it.  Its insanely simple.
>
>You can find out more at:

Okay, I don't know where I would be without my CDATA :), but there is a
good lesson to learn from SML - keep the markup as clear and simple as
possible.  Every time I see something like XMI or RDF I cringe, because it
is just too complex for what it is being used for.

Matthew MacKenzie
CTO/VP R&D
XML Global Technologies, Inc.