Subject: FW: More on APPLICATION/IOTP

The XML based Internet Open Traing Protocol has just registered a new MIME
type for documents based on the IOTP XML Dtd. Going forward, this is an
issue that we will also need to address.

From: Donald E. Eastlake 3rd [mailto:dee3@torque.pothole.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2000 8:50 PM
To: ietf-trade@lists.eListX.com
Subject: More on APPLICATION/IOTP

The MIME type registartion template I posted to the ietf-types list
has caused a lot of comment.  None of it is really about IOTP, it
is all about two issues:
(1) should it really be APPLICATION/IOTP-XML
and
(2) should it allow/require a charset parameter

That is, people are arguing about whether all new XML content MIME
types should have a subtype with a "-xml" on the end.  I would
assume we don't want to change due to existing implementations.

On the charset paramter issue, I think I should add it as an
optional parameter.  Section F of the XML 1.0 specification makes
it clear that the charset as indicated by the actual data
including any byte order mark and encoding declaration and that
any "external" charset, as the charset parameter would be, is
"solely for error recovery."

Thanks,
donald
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd                      dee3@torque.pothole.com
 65 Shindegan Hill Road, RR#1                     +1 914-276-2668(h)
 Carmel, NY 10512 USA                             +1 508-261-5434(w)