Subject: RE: XML Syntax/Semantics

Bob,

I think there are a couple of alternative solutions to these issues:
1. XPath
2. namespaces

Each option should be explored for possible appication within the ebXML
header specification.

I firmly believe the issues you raise, relative to the actual business
transactions, needs to be addressed by the parties responsible for
specifying these standards (e.g. OTA, et al).

http://www.8760.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ebxml-transport@lists.oasis-open.org
[mailto:owner-ebxml-transport@lists.oasis-open.org]On Behalf Of Miller,
Robert (GEIS)
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2000 9:55 AM
To: 'ebXML-Transport@lists.oasis-open.org'

Robert,

I strongly agree with your point that we need to define semantic identifiers
within the ebXML framework.
However, putting them in a DTD or Schema is not going to do the job. We need
to have a repository to store those identifiers. The ideal situation would
be to have a single namespace for those identifiers, where we store the
globally agreed semantic identifiers, together with multilingual
explanations of the identified semantics.

MILR: IMO, only the semantic ID itself need be in the DTD/Schema referenced
by the document.  And yes, we expect that even that DTD will typically be
registered and stored in a repository.  I would expect that the bulk of the
semantic information would be accessible from a repository using the
Semantic ID as an access key.

MILR:  Having a single namespace for identifiers is a nice dream, but IMO is
not practical.  For example, X12 and EDIFACT provide two rich sources for
identifying semantic entities, and we haven't been able to get those two
merged.  Please understand, I very much would like to see just one namespace
having no duplication of semantic entities.  To that end, I would suggest we
need to provide some means by which the semantic ID lookup process might in
some cases yield a substitute semantic ID.

My first submission on this topic may have suggested to some that the
assignment of semantic ID was a simple thing.  It is not always so.
In X12 (and likely in EDIFACT, though I did not look for same before writing
this) there are examples in which the first entity value identifies which of
several code lists the qualifier comes from, which qualifier in turn
provides the semantic meaning to the qualified  entity, which in turn is a
code list entry to the actual semantic entity.  That first qualifier code is
just a mechanic needed to access the governing code list.  In X12, DE66 /
DE67 is such a pair.  If DE66 contains the code value '2', then the value in
DE67 represents a Standard Alpha Carrier Code, which in turn identifies a
party.  Had DE66 contained a '1', then the value in DE67 would have
represented a D-U-N-S number, which in turn identifies a party (perhaps even
the same party identified using an SCAC).

The 0.60 requirements doc already
mentions this in Section 3.7 (RegRep).
The real challenge with XML based document exchange is to map the semantics
from one application/XML framework to another. Being able to identify
semantics is a key factor in this process. A repository with agreed semantic
identifiers, which can be referenced from Schemas or DTDs will be helpful.

MILR: Probably more than just 'helpful', as in down right necessary.

The problem is maintenance and quality control: how are we going to ensure
that the contents of the repository are perfectly understandable (to
*everyone* around the globe), and that duplication of semantics is
minimized?

MILR: Of course, we (ebXML) are not charged with that 'content'
responsibility.  But we are probably charged with establishing some controls
on the kinds of content required, and on setting rules for maintenance and
quality control.  For example, we can require that every entry include a
'type' specification, one or more 'name' and 'description' specifications
(for one or more languages), etc.

This problem is not new, we hit upon it in the relatively controlled
environment of UN/EDIFACT as well. IMO, a purely technical solution is
impossible, as it takes human expertise to control the semantics.
All frameworks use semantics, whether they are explicitly identified, or
implicitly (through document structure and human interpretable tags). The
trick is to enable interoperability by allowing/demanding these frameworks
to identify their semantics with universal identifiers.

MILR: Amen.  We won't fully solve this problem. But we can transform the
problem into a set of problems we can solve and address those.  That will
help some.  And maybe those who follow us will find a few more useful
transformations.  And don't forget that in this new world we can even
associate processes with these semantic units, which processes may provide
built in 'semantic smarts'.

Several attempts have been made to set up such repositories. One of them is
ISO BSR, another is the UN-XML Repository (a demo is available at
http://xml-edi.tie.nl). Although the UN-XML Repository bears the name of the
UN, it is not sanctioned by UN/CEFACT in any way. The name comes from the
way it retrieves it's content: All semantic identifiers are extracted from
UN/EDIFACT directories.

Gait Boxman
TIE Product Development
The Netherlands