Subject: RE: [Fwd: Re[2]: Concern with basic ebXML TRP Syntax/Semantics]

MILR: IMO, adopting MIME/SMIME is a no-brainer, we just do it.  Even if we
live to see the day when we can meet ebXML requirements with a pure XML
solution, we should still have MIME/SMIME as one solution in the ebXML bag.

To those who feel there should be one and only one way to do things, may I
remind them that technology breeds ever better ways to do what was done
before, and with it breeds new standards.  The rate at which older standards
fade away is a business function of both the investment and operating cost
of change vs.
benefit of change equation.  The cotton gin was a stellar advancement, and
change to the new 'standard' was rapid.  Computer programming languages are
a dime a dozen - advancements in this arena are more subtle.

Cheers,
        Bob Miller

-----Original Message-----
From: Kit (Christopher) Lueder [mailto:kit@mitre.org]
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2000 4:58 PM
To: Dick Brooks
Cc: ebXML-Transport@lists.oasis-open.org

Well, it looks like XML encryption is starting up (appended below)...We
don't want to standardize on MIME encryption if W3C develops a different
XML encryption recommendation.
Kit.

Dick Brooks wrote:
> Kit,
> This addresses the digital signature requirement but what about
encryption?
> There is no W3C standard for encryption.
> Dick Brooks
> http://www.8760.com/

    _/    _/             Kit C. J. Lueder
   _/   _/         _/   The MITRE Corp.         Tel:  703-883-5205
  _/_/_/    _/  _/_/_/ 1820 Dolley Madison Bl  Cell: 703-577-2463
 _/   _/   _/    _/   Mailstop W722           FAX:  703-883-7996
_/    _/  _/    _/   McLean, VA 22102        Mail: kit@mitre.org
Worse than an unanswered question is an unquestioned answer.