Subject: RE: Trading Partner Logical Identification based on EDIFACT or X12qualifiers

David,

I may be missing your point but it seems to me it is ebXML's duty to deliver
a set of specifications that will ensure a high degree of interoperability
throughout a large, diverse business community.  We must recognize the
different "way business may be conducted" and degrees of "capability" that
may exist within that community:
- system-to-system with extensive resources and capabilities (e.g. Enron)
- interactive with human intervention (e.g. Amazon)
   - thin client
   - fat client
- Multi-party with intermediaries (e.g. portals, VAN's, ASP's, other 3rd
parties)

ebXML should be solution for all the above and we cannot mandate the use of
an ebXML specified repository, particularly in the interactive/thin client
case.

I also believe the more we can explicitly and unambiguously define in the
specs the greater our chances for success meeting the interoperability
challenge. I DO recommend that we define a core set of "standard" values for
the PartyId/context in order to ensure a "lowest common denominator", PLUS
add an extension capability for those who wish to engage in a mutual consent
arrangement. I DON'T believe an API for regrep/TA will circumvent the need
to define a standard set of options for PartyId/context, especially in the
case of an interactive/thin client. I DO believe we need an API for
regrep/TA for those implementations that can benefit from having an ebXML
compliant repository available.

Dick Brooks
Group 8760
110 12th Street North
Birmingham, AL 35203
dick@8760.com
205-250-8053
Fax: 205-250-8057
http://www.8760.com/

InsideAgent - Empowering e-commerce solutions