Subject: Expanding Reliable Messaging to meet the needs of IOTP

Folks

I suggest that reliable messaging should be expanded, so that, instead of
sending an ack, to imply that the message has been received, an alternative
would be to use the next "normal" message received instead.

The reason I suggest this is because this is how the Internet Open Trading
Protocol (RFC 2801) does it and I'm not sure that the current Reliable
Messaging spec will support this method of working. In outline what happens
is illustrated by the following:

1. Customer sends a "Payment Request" message to a Payment Handler (e.g. a
bank) - using a HTTP Post
2. The Payment Handler processes the Payment Request and sends a "Payment
Response" message on the HTTP Response
3. If the Payment Response is not received in time, a timeout occurs and the
Customer resends the Payment Request
4. If the Payment Handler receives a duplicate Payment Request, then they
resend the Payment Response that they sent previously, but otherwise ignores
it

No separate acknowledgement message is needed since the receipt of the
Payment Response by the Customer implies that the Payment Request has been
received.

Thoughts?

David

Product Management, CommerceOne
4400 Rosewood Drive 3rd Fl, Bldg 4, Pleasanton, CA 94588, USA
Tel: +1 (925) 520 4422 (also voicemail); Pager: +1 (888) 936 9599
mailto:david.burdett@commerceone.com; Web: http://www.commerceone.com