Subject: RE: Expanding Reliable Messaging to meet the needs of IOTP

David,

I think the issue you raise is important, but it is a symptom of a larger
problem: we have, up to this point, avoided specifying how the ebXML
Messaging Service supports a synchronous, request-response style of
interaction.

I agree with you that the "ack" is not necessary if you have a
request-response interaction style (i.e., the response functions as both the
ack and the response).  I believe we should make this explicit in the RM
specification.  Your use of the HTTP Response to illustrate this scenario is
transport binding specific, but the concept applies across other protocols.

I disagree with your assertion, however, that an "ack" is not necessary at
all.  Asynchronous, event-based business processes requires the use of
acknowledgements as there is usually no expected response.

marc