Subject: Re: Trading Partner or Party - What's in a name

This is my first post to this list.  Just as an introduction, I'm a lawyer,
with some technical background, but no formal technical degree.  I organize
Legal XML (http://www.legalxml.org/)

I've seen a lot of groups struggle with names.  The following is a legal
perspective on names and an example of how we solved the name problem in a
recent Court Filing specification.  (You may also be interested in this
specification, because it has an "Envelope" that is conceptually very
similar, although not as sophisticated, to your TR&P specification (posted
to this list 8/10/2000.)  See:

http://www.legalxml.org/DocumentRepository/ProposedStandards/Clear/PS_10001/
PS_10001_2000_07_24.htm

The URL will probably wrap and break.  You can also get to it from a direct
link at:

http://www.legalxml.org/CourtFiling/

From a legal perspective, only a "person" and a "thing" can be sued (thus,
these are the only things that have relevant names) (note, a "noun" is a
person, place, or thing -- places have names, but they aren't really
important in this context).  A "person" can be a natural person (human
being) or a legal entity (corporation, partnership, limited liability
company, trust, etc.).  A "thing" (such as a boat or a parcel of land) can
sometimes be sued "in rem" if, for instance, there is no person associated
with it or if the associated person (the owner) is not subject to the
jurisdiction of the court (i.e., is outside of it).

This is a helpful perspective because it nicely categorizes what can and
needs to be named.

In the Court Filing specification, we abstracted "person" to <Actor>.
<Actor>s can have <Role>s.  So, in this thread, you name a series of
<Actor>s each of which has a role (e.g., Intermediate Consignee).  The same
<Actor> can have multiple <Role>s.  <Role>s from one <Actor> can be
associated with another <Actor> using <RoleWith>.

An <Actor> also has a name.

However, a <Name> can be of a "person" (natural or legal) or a "thing" each
of which needs a different content model.  The following are some of the
relevant DTD declarations.

<!ELEMENT Actor (Title?, Name?, Address*, Telephone*, Email*, Group*,
PersonDescription*, (PersonIdentifier | BarMembershipInformation)*, Role*,
Characteristic*)>

<!ELEMENT Name (Person | Entity | Thing)>

<!ELEMENT Person (FullName, Salutation?, FirstName?, MiddleName?, LastName,
Suffix?, Designation?, NameAlias*)>

<!ELEMENT Entity (FullName, EntityAbbreviatedName?, EntityAcronym?,
NameAlias*)>

<!ELEMENT Thing (#PCDATA)>

<!ELEMENT Role (RoleName,RoleWith*)>

We have argued over whether <LastName> ought to be optional (?).  <FullName>
is there because sometimes you might get a "full name" as a text string and
you might not want to parse it, but need a place to store it.  Also, you
might not know how to categorize a name (i.e., you might not know whether it
was first or last).  The argument for requiring <LastName> is that sort
programs often sort on <LastName>, so regardless of what you get, something
ought to be in <LastName>.  I'm not sure this is a great argument, but
that's what we decided.

The <Actor> abstraction means your application needs to do a little more
work (and/or your standard has to specify acceptable <Actor> values), but
what you get is flexibility and a powerful way to express just about any
actor, name, and relationship.

I hope this helps,

Todd
==============================