Subject: Re: Trading Partner or Party - What's in a name

Where I come from, and here in this team, I have heard objections to both
"contract" and "trading partner agreement" on various grounds including
that EDI owns the term "Trading Partner Agreement".  I will be happy to
consider any other suggestions.  However I would be reluctant to agree to
"Trading Partner Profile" since I consider the profile to be about one
party and merging two profiles produces the two-party thing.  The name
needs to reflect its function, which is to record what the two parties have
to know about each other and consent to to enable the inter-party
application to flow. However you look at, that entity captures what the two
parties agree to (small "a", not capital "A") in order to exchange
messages.

A colleague in IBM Poughkeepsie, sensing a "what's in a name"  discussion
beginning to sidetrack the technical discussion used to say "OK, call it
Herman and let's move on."

Regards,
Marty

Martin W. Sachs