Subject: RE: TRP Work Plan - Version 17 Aug 00

Rik,

You have hit the problem right on the nose.  We have not been at all
focussing on the need for an application support layer and I suspect that
BP may not have been doing that either.  There are things that a decent
run-time should supply to support the application.  While they are outside
the messaging service architecture, they are most likely embedded in the
run-time implementation of the messaging service.

In the IBM Research prototype runtime (BPF), those services which are
outside the scope of the Messaging Service include

   Conversion of TPA action names to local method calls
   Checking for violations of Sequencing Rules
   Business document generation and parsing (via plug-ins)
   Security services
   Correlation of conversations (e.g. in a supply chain situation)
   Logging
   Recovery

It might be worthwhile my giving a more detailed talk on BPF (5-6 charts)
at the Tokyo meeting.  This might also expose some use cases for the TPA
constructs in the message header.  This could be scheduled within a TRP or
TP meeting, with members of TRP, TP, and BP invited.

Regards,
Marty

Martin W. Sachs
IBM T. J. Watson Research Center