Subject: Re: FWD Re: Failed posting on RM issues

Gordon,

<diclaimer>Forgive me if I am totally misinterpreting the RM spec...</diclaimer>

The whole point of RM-Groups as I understand it is to optimize bandwidth by
sending a single group ack per message group. I believe that messages in a message
group are sent on a per message basis in the proposal. Can someone validate my
assumption?

I think the core issue I raised in the original post was whether there is
justification for adding the complexity of RM-Groups in RM spec. I think Dave's
suggestion of articulating use cases is good.

A second related issue I had raised was that if we are to agree that the
RM-Group's bandwidth optimization is worth the added complexity of RM-Group
support, then it should be the RM layers responsibility to determine the begin and
end boundaries of an RM group (and not the applications). I suggested one possible
way that the RM layer could transparently handle boundary determination of
RM-Group by using some information that we could add to the TPA (polling
frequency).

Hopefully we can reach a balance between the extremes of over complexity and
dumbing down of the spec.

Farrukh Najmi

Gordon van Huizen wrote:

> Considering that these acks are above transport-level acks, I would
> think that one ack per message would be OK. How messages groups get
> marshaled over the wire will be a separate issue.
>
> -gvh-
>
> David Burdett wrote:
> >
> > > RM-Groups certainly add some additional complexity in the implementation
> > > of RM in a ebXML messaging service. The only rationale I can identify is
> > > performance efficiencies. Immediate concern is whether this is a
> > > premature optimization that is pushing against the KISS principal and
> > > is best to defer to a second version of ebXML.
> >
> > I tend to agree. There is a much simpler implementation where each message
> > that needs to be sent reliably gets an individual ack. My rule of thumb on
> > optimization, where it introduces greater complexity, is to see a use case
> > where the need for the optimization is shown to be an imperative rather than
> > a "nice-to-have". We went through a "KISS" exercise on the original 0-5
> > version of the main spec. Do we want to do the same thing with the RM spec?
> >
> > David

begin:vcard
n:Najmi;Farrukh
tel;fax:781-442-1610
tel;work:781-442-0703
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:www.sun.com
org:Sun Microsystems;Java Software
adr:;;1 Network Drive, MS BUR02-302;Burlington;MA;01803-0902;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:najmi@east.sun.com
fn:Farrukh S. Najmi
end:vcard