Subject: RE: RM Group Definitions

i don't think grouping is appropriate at this time. we need to keep it
simple for the first round of ebxml... that is that though the end of may
next year..... rik

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Hughes [mailto:jfh@fs.fujitsu.com]
Sent: Monday, August 28, 2000 11:32 AM
To: ebxml-transport@lists.ebxml.org
Subject: RM Group Definitions

Our initial rendering of the RM spec just assumed that MS layer was sending
messages needing "reliable delivery", with no context of a "conversation"
or "multiple TPAs" assumed -- this was left to other MS functions or a
higher layer. The grouping of what would otherwise be independent messages
into an "RM Group" was just to provide performance/implementation
improvements. If the MSH needs to group messages for other reasons, then we
should have a discussion about this and see if the RM Group concept is
embedded in that architecture, or should be separate in a lower layer in
the MSH...

Regarding Marty's comment on efficiency, we assume that the higher-level
layer using RM would establish the size of an RM Group. Marty feels that
the upper layer BP should not do this (correct, Marty?), so we need to
decide architecturally if the MSH should determine this grouping and how it
is done. The trivial case, of course, is to just set the size of each RM
Group to be one message, which forces MSH-level ACKs for each message.

Jim

*********

*********