Subject: RE: Expanding Reliable Messaging to meet the needs of IOTP

David,

What you are suggesting, IMHO, does not violate layering except for
item 1b.  If you were happy to live without 1b, I would back this
as long as the "RefToMessageId" is in the ebXML Messaging Service
Headers spec (it isn't yet, of course RM could put it in when they
are integrated) and not in the underlying transport (not all under-
lying transports may have "RefToMessageId"s and, even if they did,
you might be back into layering problems).

Indeed, what you suggest, without 1b, probably wouldn't need any-
thing in the TPA telling you where to look for your ACKed message
ID (if it was a NORMAL message, you'd look in the "RefToMessageId"
and if it was a "Acknowledgement" message you'd look in the
"RefToMessageId", too -- nice and simple :-).

Of course, the question of how you get the fact that message 9876
had been ACKed to the application (BP) has to be dealt with without
violating layering, but that's easily dealt with, e.g., use the
NOTIFICATION service (see the Technical Architecture section on
TRP) to notify the BP that "message 9876 has been ACKed".  If we
thought about it for a few minutes, we could probably come up
with other alternatives.

Best regards,
Henry

PS: Hope all got this as I stripped off all e-mail addresses except
for the TRP list.  Let me know if you didn't get this ;-)