Subject: Re: more on the FW: Draft RegRep and TRP transport harmonization

There is a difference between supporting all transports and ignoring
transport charcteristics.  Ignoring leaves us open to things like having
ACKs at two levels (messaging and transport) where only one is needed.
Being totally blind to the transport characteristics probably requires a
store and forward interface, with transactional semantics, between
messaging service and transport.  As we have started saying, we will need
to look at the conceptual interface between messaging service and
transport, at least with a view to understanding what transport
characteristics might have to percolate up into the messaging service.

Regards,
Marty

Martin W. Sachs
IBM T. J. Watson Research Center