Subject: RE: v0.8 Manifest proposal

Message text written by Christopher Ferris

        <!ELEMENT DocumentReference (Metadata?)>
        <!ATTLIST DocumentReference  xlink:type    CDATA  #FIXED 'simple'
                xlink:role    CDATA  #REQUIRED
                xlink:href    CDATA  #REQUIRED
                xlink:show    CDATA  #IMPLIED
                xlink:actuate CDATA  #IMPLIED
                xlink:title   CDATA  #IMPLIED >
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Chris',

We are going to have to look long and hard at XLink.

Two years ago I thought it was the way to go. Then the
W3C took for ever to publish an RC.

In the meantime Schema and different cleaner ways of
doing links is upon us with <include/>, extending
datatyping <ref/> and so forth.

Effectively this may have killed XLink for B2B.  XPath
may still be viable becuase of the selection expressions
that can get you collections - Martin Bryan is working on
some examples for CC.

In any case - if you want to use XLink you should hide all the
'goup' using an entity : ie  %ebXML-registry-access;    and
that would resolve to the xlinkrole, xlink:href, etc.

Just my 2 cents!

DW.