Subject: Re: v0.8 Manifest proposal

Matt,

This hasn't been raised as yet. It may be something we should
consider. I would expect that one of the payload entries is the
primary and that the others are either referenced by it or
that the consuming software "knows" what to do with multiple
payloads.

Of course, our thinking may not have gotten that far down
this path.

Can you provide a real-world use case which we could
use to work through this?

Thanks,

Chris

Matthew MacKenzie wrote:

> Christopher, Group:
>
> Having entered the trp discussion rather late, and not having
> familiarized myself with all of the specs, I have no really strong
> feeling toward including the xlink syntax, especially if it helps
> with SOAP interoperability.  If its addition buys the specification a
> longer lifetime, so be it.
>
> One thing that I am wondering about the manifest, now that this discussion
> has brought it, is the question of applying a sequence to the processing
> of attachment items.  I was thinking of something like matching the ID in
> the document reference to the Content-ID in the attachments MIME headers,
> and specifying sequence by adding am attribute (sequence="") to the
> DocumentReference element.  There may be instances where successful
> processing of one attachment hinges on another attachment is processed
> first.
>
> Comments?
>
> -Matt
>
> On Thu, 16 Nov 2000, Christopher Ferris wrote:
>
> > Matt,
> >
> > You may be thinking auto-actuate, but I am not.
> > However, I am thinking ahead;-) I've dropped
> > a few hints in that regard.
> >
> > You will note that I haven't expressly included
> > xlink:show and xlink:actuate attributes, yet, other
> > than to allow that they MAY be included (#IMPLIED).
> >
> > In fact, for processing the ebXML Header, I envision
> > that the DocumentReference be treated with the behavior
> > semantics of show=none and actuate=onLoad. Quite
> > possibly, what is needed for this proposal is to
> > make that explicit in the specification following
> > the lead taken in the xlink spec w/r/t behavior treatment
> > of arcs in a linkbase:
> >       'Applications encountering arc-type elements in
> >       linkbase lists must treat the behavior attributes
> >       as if they were specified as show="none" and
> >       actuate="onLoad", even if other values were
> >       specified.'
> >
> > As to the processing of the header (not parsing),
> > here is what I had envisaged:
> >       - ebXMLHeader document is parsed with the
> >       behavior cited above
> >       - the MSH can now extract information from
> >       the header which can be used by it (and/or the
> >       "application support" software layer) to
> >       route/process the message internally
> >       - being able to zoom into the CPA at the point
> >       where the message (and its constraints) is
> >       defined within the service can be useful to
> >       an application support layer which wants to
> >       do pre-application-process checking/enforcement
> >       as it can now easily extract (from the CPA)
> >       the constraints, etc. This is what I had in mind for
> >       the xpointer/xpath use case proposal
> >
> > As to your point regarding 'spending too much time
> > figuring out what to do...' it is my belief that
> > some amount of processing must be peformed to
> > determine where/how the message should be processed.
> > I think that this is unavoidable unless you have
> > a MSH which is an endpoint for a single message type
> > (e.g. a servlet)

> [...]
begin:vcard
n:Ferris;Christopher
tel;cell:508-667-0402
tel;work:781-442-3063
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Sun Microsystems, Inc;XTC Advanced Development
adr:;;One Network Drive;Burlington;Ma;01803-0903;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:chris.ferris@east.sun.com
title:Senior Staff Engineer
fn:Christopher Ferris