ebxml-transport message

Subject: RE: Yet more issues to resolve

Marty, David,

a little clarification w.r.t. "I also don't like the idea of placing a
restriction on the MSH to persist a message until the transaction is
complete, ..."

I think that an option would be to allow the MSH to be "controlled" by
outside w.r.t. this part and by defining a "default behaviour". "Not saying
anything" (as mentioned by Marty) would mean, IMHO, that the "default
behaviour" is to remove the message as soon as it reliably reaches the
target MSH.
Giving the option to "control from outside" would allow the layer between
the MSH and the real application to take care (if it will be capable) of a
more sophisticated behaviour.

/Stefano

 -----Original Message-----
 From: Martin W Sachs [mailto:mwsachs@us.ibm.com]
 Sent: Saturday, December 30, 2000 2:23 AM
 To: Burdett, David
 Cc: ebxml-transport@lists.ebxml.org; ebxml-tp@lists.ebxml.org

 David,

 The definition of persistDuration in your email looks OK.

 My point about decoupling persistence from reliable messaging was
 a CPA/CPP
 point, not a MSH point.  I am simply suggesting that two parties
 might have
 reasons to come to agreement on persistence that have nothing to do with
 the MSH in addition to its use with RM.

 Regarding "I also don't like the idea of placing a restriction on the MSH
 to persist a message until the transaction is complete, ..."  I don't like
 placing that restriction either.  I was asking for the opposite - that the
 MSH specification should not say anything which either prescribes or
 suggests that a message can be deleted from the persistent store
 as soon as
 it reliably reaches the destination MSH.  Earlier versions of the RM
 specification included such words.

 Regards,
 Marty

 Martin W. Sachs