Subject: RE: SOAP Proposal Documents

Dick,

some comments...

<snip>
- no support for enumerated listing of errors within a SOAP-ENV:Fault
</snip>

As previously stated, a careful reading of the specifcation says that the
<detail> sub-element is intended for information related only to SOAP Body
error.  However, the spec also explicitly allows for extensions at the
SOAP-ENV:Fault sub-element level (i.e., a sibling of the <detail> element)
without restriction on the content of the error information.  Therefore,
we were able to add an ebXML namespace qualified element (the ErrorList)
within the SOAP Fault element, satisfying both goals of keeping the ebXML
errors together and placing them within the SOAP Fault element.

<snip>
- Use of HTTP 500
</snip>

Use of HTTP 500 in the error process is specific to the SOAP HTTP Binding
and seems reasonable when an HTTP transport is used.  I don't understand how
this is a problem.  The bining states that:

In case of a SOAP error while processing the request, the SOAP HTTP server
MUST issue an HTTP 500 "Internal Server Error" response and include a SOAP
message in the response containing a SOAP Fault element (see section 4.4)
indicating the SOAP processing error.

In other words, if the SOAP processor (in our case, the envelope processor)
has an error, it must return in the HTTP response.  It should never get to
the ebXML processor to have any other kind of error, so why do we care?  I
would think we would just follow the SOAP HTTP binding in that case.

<snip>
- Reporting Header errors
</snip>

see comments above re:extensions being unrestricted in content

IMHO, I would prefer to see all errors kept together and within the SOAP
framework.

marc