Subject: Re: [Fwd: Proposals to address SOAPAction header]

Dick Brooks wrote:

> Chris,
>
> The SOAP 1.1 spec is very clear regarding the use of SOAPAction,
> section 6.1.1 of the SOAP 1.1 spec states:
>
> "6.1.1 The SOAPAction HTTP Header Field
> The SOAPAction HTTP request header field can be used to indicate the intent
> of the SOAP HTTP request. The value is a URI identifying the intent. SOAP
> places no restrictions on the format or specificity of the URI or that it is
> resolvable. An HTTP client MUST use this header field when issuing a SOAP
> HTTP Request."
>
> The spec clearly indicates that a client MUST use this header field when
				    ^^^^^^
> issuing a SOAP HTTP Request.

The SOAP spec says nothing about what a SOAP processor receiving a
SOAP message should do (if anything) with SOAPAction. It in fact
calls out the fact that the following are valid values for SOAPAction:

SOAPAction:
SOAPAction: ""

Nor does the SOAP 1.1 spec say anything about how or where the client
obtains the value it shall use for SOAPAction.

> I don't like either A or B and would prefer that the SOAP 1.1 spec be used
> verbatim with regard to SOAPAction.

As before, we agree to disagree ;-) I just want to be clear that the SOAP 1.1
spec is insufficient as regards to clearly articulating a specified use
(and use cases) for SOAPAction that ensures or at the very least helps
to strengthen interoperability of implementations. I prefer that the
"intent" of SOAPAction be something that is an integral part of SOAP
and not of a specific binding without regard for other bindings.

> Dick Brooks
> Group 8760
> 110 12th Street North
> Birmingham, AL 35203
> dick@8760.com
> 205-250-8053
> Fax: 205-250-8057
> http://www.8760.com/
>
> InsideAgent - Empowering e-commerce solutions

<snip/>