ebxml message

Subject: RE: Should ebXML standards be based on XML?

While HTTP is clearly the most ubiquitous protocol for moving XML, let's
not lose sight of SMTP. As a secondary protocol it has a couple of advantages.

a) inherent store and forward capability, removes the requirement for 100%
up time of the receiver
b) a specific addressing model below the domain name.

At 4/14/00 09:46 AM-0500, Nieman, Scott wrote:
>ebXML is not going to change the infrastructure of the Internet.  Supporting
>the MIME approach enables use over http, the most dominant B2B protocol of
>the Internet.  While there is a discussion to look at recasting http into
>XML-based version, that would be a monsterously large undertaking
>considering the number of web sites out there.
>
>The min requirement in my view is that the ebXML transport be recognized as
>a valid MIME type by the IEFT, much like the intent of the SOAP submission
>to IEFT.  (Rik, please clarify if I am off base).
>
>In addition, it should be recognized that not all of the ebXML standards
>will be purely XML based.  The Business Process project team appears to be
>recommending UML to describe business processes, which could easily be
>recast into XML syntax for software consumption and rendered back into UML
>for visualization.
>
>We must use the best-of-breed techniques that are in wide spread use today
>instead of reinventing the wheel.
>
>Regards,
>
>Scott

----------
Wes Rishel
Research Director
Healthcare Industry Research & Advisory Services
GartnerGroup
Alameda, CA
wes@rishel.com (for general correspondence)
wes.rishel@gartner.com (for GG business)
http://www.rishel.com
510 522 8135
-----
This message does not represent an opinion of The GartnerGroup, or any
other organization.