ebxml message

Subject: RE: XML Gave A War, But Nobody Came

Rachel, William and others,

I don't get it. I think the article was biased towards the "Internet
exchanges and e-businesses" perspective. It's like asking middleware
companies if there should be a single API for all ERP systems. Of course
they will say no, because it is their business to connect them all together.
Internet exchanges that can support more standards will have a greater value
add, I guess. I also think it is a bit short sited of the execs to not see
the light and work toward a common global standard. What advantage is there
in multiple implementations of the same thing?

I do understand the role of ebXML to provide a common "infrastructure" for
all XML messages. But why stop there. I would much rather see a single
common PO rather that 5 or 6 different versions of the same thing. That
starts to smell like the (dare I say) old EDI.

I work in Lucent's CIO Strategy, Planning and Architecture group where we
now have to deal with a PO from OAG and RN. Sure, the immediate reaction is
to choose one as the Lucent standard and translate all others to it, but I
don't want that architecture to persist or to proliferate. It just adds
extra work.

IMHO, of course,

Kurt Kanaskie
Lucent Technologies