ebxml message

Subject: RE: XML Gave A War, But Nobody Came

Message text written by INTERNET:rachelf@ix.netcom.com

>    Asked if they cared about which XML version will win, [nine
>    e-commerce executives at top Internet exchanges and e-businesses]
>    all shook their heads. They will fight to set standards for the
>    structure of XML documents in their respective industries, they
>    said, but not about setting a common, global standard for the
>    language.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

William,

Right now this is because their customers don't care.

But - they will!

Notice that all the frazzle dazzle of e-Tailing Web sites belies the fact
that:

a) You use one of these ASP's you're trapped (or rather your data is!).

b) If you want to play in more than one marketplace - you have to join
    entirely separate systems and support both, or more.

c) Don;t even try taking data out of one system and sending it over
    to another, or even - taking say invoices out and putting them in
    your local accounting system.

In short - these are stovepipes - but all in the same verticals!
There's hundreds - if not - thousands of these already.

My sense is that six months from now you are going to see them
start to compete on interoperability and maintainability cost-points.

Right now they are in fantasy land spending IPO money and
trying to get as many 'customers' on board as possible.

Notice to many - customers are registered companies - even
if they have never re-visited the site since they signed up for
a 'free' trial or just to download the demo kit....

No surprises here - we've seen all this before.

DW.