ebxml-awareness message

Subject: RE: Education & Awareness

Sean,

While your ideas about promoting XML are good, they are a bit outside the
scope of the ebXML Marketing, Awareness & Education Project Team's role.
Last November at our initial meeting the team decided that we should not
expend effort on promoting XML in general but rather focus our efforts on
the ebXML Initiative. There are myriad sources for general XML education and
promotion.

There is way to much for us to do to effectively address ebXML and providing
awareness and education about the ebXML products without fragmenting our
efforts and focus to XML in general.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Rachel

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ebxml-awareness@lists.oasis-open.org
[mailto:owner-ebxml-awareness@lists.oasis-open.org]On Behalf Of S. Champ
Sent: Tuesday, June 06, 2000 4:53 AM
To: rachelf@ix.netcom.com; ebXML-awareness@lists.oasis-open.org

getting the word out:

we could probably use a "this is XML" pamphlet, in digital and hard-copy
formats.

also, some words about EDI.

and, probably, a copy of:
  http://www.ebxml.org/working/project_teams/core_components/simpl-edi.pdf

 ( sans the "messages" section )

also, I'd like to emphasize point "h", given below.
	( and apologies that it's given that far down the list.

	  a possible remedy for such as this
		is mentioned in point "b" )

a)  towards an XML-based document-architecture, and a good countenance on
the
public-available ebXML proposals and other docs:

	I've got something tabled here, which is supposed to be able to format XML
PDF. this should be ideal for multi-format document-output (eg: XSLT of XML
each target-format { HTML, PDF, plain-text , ... } ).

	http://xml.apache.org/fop

	"FOP" == "Formatting Object Parser"

		( "Formatting Objects" == a core part of the w3c XSL spec.
			also, a nice construct for digital documentation.
			( re: "typesetting" ... ) )

b) started working towards some sort of an XML-based email system, here.
	( XSLT, SMTP, LDAP? ...)

	currently:

		needing to dig through the FSF "Gnu" tools,
			for a standalone mailer.

		..and maybe through some other "OSS" project-sites
			( not a few of them, there are) ,

		thence (likely) to use some TCL/TK
			to glue that mailer together
			with the 'XT' XSLT-engine.
			( just as the Gnu tools generally are,
				XT is free.

				== good for the budgeting, no? )

c)  ( glad that the message-filtering is fixed, on this emailer, now.

	apologies, for not speaking-up on any of this, sooner.

	it was all being shuffled of to the local 'XML-Apache' catchbins. )

d) could a person find employment, working on some ebXML docs
		and doc-systems?

	( "aspiring information-architect" | "freelance writer"
		has bills to pay,
		could use a good Java-book or two,
		  needs a job.  )

e) if a distribution of the "Simple-EDI" doc, w/o the messages-section,
	seems like a good idea, I should be able to contact Mr. Whittle,
	about the same.  please state so, if it should be pursued.

f) sidebar:
	we could use:

	1) an XML-based messaging system.

	2) a commitment from folks to send along XML source
	   of any MS-word or other-format document,

		and maybe a working-group-node about the same.

	3) some data about who's using which of:
		- Operating-System

		- ms-[word|office]-version

		- web-UA ( "browser" ) type and version
			(eg: MSIE ==> in-built [XML+XSL]-ability)

		& "does your email software have HTML capability?"

	    ...among the members of the ebXML WGs

	I should file seperate proposals about these,
		and need to check-in on the progress of the
		ebXML core XML-schemas
		(if|when filed, the proposals will likely have
			XML source with XSL stylesheets available,
			though likely submitted as emailed-plain-text
			with HTML-copy attatched.

			this is related to point f.1 )

g) some simple, practical, examples of the usage of XML
	should be helpful.

	- resume-example:

	I can send along a URL, or a copy, of
		 an XSL stylesheet that I've used for building a resume
		 from XML source-data,
	  if it was requested.

	( needing to build the schema or DTD for the source-doc, too,
		and should be able to get that done shortly, on-request )

	- other examples ???

		1) "typical-scenario" cases would be appropriate

		2) shop-time would be helpful, re: examples-building.

			and|or a map, of typical "workflow" points
			( and|or a collection thereof )

	  	3) anyone know of some good demonstrative EDI systems,
			worth a note and/or interview, re: ebXML ?

h)  regarding ebXML-awareness:

	some collaboration with the U.S. "Small Business Administration"
		should be in-order.

	and a list of target-organizations among other nations
		should also be good for a work-point.

i)  someone had mentioned something about "keeping track of things".

	methinks we need some good group-ware.

	the document side of it it ought to be purely XML-based,
		or as much so as possible.

	I came across some TCL/TK-based groupware,
		but this should probably be addressed to "ebXML-core".

bearing-down at some pending XML-wrapping-around-document.this,

-- sean champ
   s-champ@pacbell.net
   docsys_x@hotmail.com