ebxml-awareness message

Subject: Urgent - Need review of presentation abstract by COB Monday

All,
I'm trying to get an ebXML presentation added to one of the upcoming events
(XML based) and have been asked for an abstract.  Before sending it I'm
hoping if we can get this right, we can all use it in the coming
months.  Please review the following and get responses to me by close of
business Pacific time on Monday - as, if we are to have a hope of getting
the submission accepted I need to get it in on Tuesday.
I've also given it a rough, working title claiming ebXML is the vowels of
e-business i.e. it doesn't provide everything you need in an electronic
business language, but without it communication would be somewhat
tricky.  I've had a stab at trying to define meaning for each of the vowels
and would appreciate the insights of your collective wisdom.

Simon

Title: ebXML - The Vowels of Electronic Business
or how ebXML is
Adopted by orgs of all sizes - or Adaptable
Easy to implement - or Earth on which to build
Infrastructure on which you can build solutions - Internet based
Open to all
Universal in scope

There is nothing new in the concept of Electronic Business.  For the last
25 years organisations have been conducting their transactions over the
wire in volumes that today are measured in billions of dollars.  However,
this method of business is only available to organisations with deep
pockets and large support resources.  Now, with the availability of the
internet, organisations of all shapes and sizes are looking to do business
electronically with each other, globally, in ways which remove technical
interdependence and vendor lock-in.
In the last 12 months we have seen an explosion in initiatives whose goal
is to provide the infrastructure to enable the vision whereby small, medium
and large organisations can conduct business electronically using the
infrastructure of the internet. Many of the initiatives share common
requirements in core infrastructure and to reduce reinvention and the risks
of incompatibility the UN CEFACT and OASIS organisations came together, in
November 1999, to form an 18 month initiative, ebXML.  The objective of
ebXML is to develop a global infrastructure for electronic business, based
on public, proven standards, and being freely open to all, it represents
the only global initiative of its type in the industry today.  As a result
it now has the global backing and participation of vendors (large and
small), users and key industry verticals from both the EDI and XML worlds.
The first phase of this work is now nearing completion and is defining the
framework by which all enterprises, irrespective of size, location and
implementation will interact and do business.  This presentation provides
an insight into the ongoing work of ebXML and will discuss the architecture
defining the framework and how the specifications for transport, business
process, registry and repository and core components fit together.

Simon Nicholson
Snr. Market Strategist
XML Technology Centre
Sun Microsystems, Inc.