ebxml-awareness message

Subject: Fwd: Re: Urgent - Need review of presentation abstract by COB Monday

All,
Thank you for all your feedback, and I have attempted to consolidate it
into the following proposal for the abstract.  As for the title, I take
your points about references to Clicks and Mortar, and on reflection,
agree. There were a number of suggestions that we retain a theme about how
ebXML enables businesses to talk/speak/communicate with each other, but
avoid the word language - also I'm wondering if "framework" is now worn
out, as an eye catcher?  Therefore, I've gone with an old idea!!!!
Thanks again,
Simon

Removing Babel - using ebXML for Global Business Communication

The "Electronic Business XML" or ebXML initiative combines the best of the
new Web technology with previous experience of electronic transactions, and
promises to extend the benefits of business data exchange to companies of
all sizes anywhere in the world.

Over the last 25 years most of the world's larger enterprises have
exchanged electronic transactions with their customers and suppliers in
volumes that today are measured in billions of dollars. However, only those
organisations with the deepest pockets and large support resources could
afford the development, software, and networks needed to make it work. Now,
with the availability of the Internet, organisations worldwide and of all
sizes are looking to do business electronically with each other, in ways
which remove dependencies on their trading partners and specific technology
vendors.

The last year has seen an explosion in initiatives to provide the
infrastructure that enables small, medium and large organisations to
conduct business electronically using the Internet. Many of the initiatives
share common requirements in core infrastructure and, therefore, to enable
interoperability amongst these services a common electronic business
framework is needed. In November 1999, the UN CEFACT and OASIS
organisations came together to form the ebXML initiative.  The objective is
to ensure the empowerment of small and medium size businesses, through the
development of an open, platform independent infrastructure for electronic
business, based on public, proven standards. Participation at ebXML is
freely open to all and represents the only initiative of its type in the
industry today. As a result it now has the global backing and participation
of large and small vendors, key industry groups from both the EDI and XML
worlds, and end-users.

The first phase, with a duration of 18 months, is now nearing completion
and is defining the framework by which all enterprises, irrespective of
size, location and implementation will interact and do business. This
presentation provides an insight into the ongoing work of ebXML and will
discuss the architecture defining the framework and how the specifications
for transport, business process, registry and repository and core
components fit together.

Simon Nicholson
Snr. Market Strategist
XML Technology Centre