Subject: Message control

I would like to know your views but I am not sure that the document is sent
to the right WG.
Can you eventually redirect ?

In EDIFACT (or X12) it is possible - if you have a good EDI solution - to
check (parse ?) a transaction set when it is received. The occurence of the
transaction set is compared to its pattern (model).
If the transaction set is correct it is possible to send an acknowledgment
saying "I received transaction set number xyz and it is correct".
If the transaction set (TS) is invalid it is possibled to send a TS (CONTRL
is designed for this) saying  - for example - that such data in such segment
is not conformant, that such code value is invalid and such mandatory data
missing.

There are tools for EDIFACT/X12 which have the capacity to certify the
conformance of an EDI-Application to a specific standard (Foresight is one
of them).

How does these functions will work with XML ?

Will it be possible to parse an XML TS and to discover what is invalid ?
With a detailed diagnosis ?

Are there already parsers for schemas (and not only for DTDs) ? How detailed
is their output ?

Foregive me if I am asking trivial questions, but they are the one to which
I would like to have a response before migrating my clients to XML.

Rémy Marchand
API*EDI
Suite 284       et                 126 rue du Vallon des Auffes
19 place de l'IRIS               13007 Marseille
92400 Courbevoie              Tél : 04 91 31 63 22
Tél : 01 49 01 00 08
Fax 01 49 00 13 79
Portable : 06 11 02 02 37
email : rm-edi@worldnet.fr