Subject: Re: ebXML and RosettaNet

"Kanaskie, Kurt A (Kurt)" wrote:

> All,
>
> This is an interesting thread and I would like to add my comments, hopes and
> dreams.
>
> 1. We don't want multiple standards that we have to
> bridge/translate/interoperate between. We want a best of breed convergence
> (dream).

Or maybe not so much of a dream. I have been working this very issue for the
last 10 years amongst various standards orgs and believe that we are closer than
ever before. With the adoption of Protocol Neutral Modeling by the ITU,
UN/CEFACT, TMForum, RosettaNet, OMG, ETSI, and others it is very likely. As an
example, the modeling approach and architecture that we introduced at RosettaNet
can be found in the M.3020 which defines the PNM approach for the ITU. This same
architecture is now an integral part of the UMM which specifies the
specification approach for the UN/CEFACT. Some of the architecture is being fed
back into the TMForum. We may not be there but we are heading in the right
direction.

> 2. My primary motive for working with ebXML, RosettaNet and OAGI is to
> achieve convergence in that they leverage each others strengths. OAGI has
> defined a broadly scoped set of messages that have been proven in the field,
> RosettaNet has defined B2B process definitions that have also been proven,
> and ebXML is defining (among other things) horizontal infrastructure
> standards than many different groups can use.

> 3. It has been my understanding through various contacts that RosettaNet
> wants to get out of the infrastructure level specification and message
> definition business. They want to focus on what they do best, process
> definitions. Therefore I expect (hope) RosettaNet will endorse ebXML and
> begin to define their processes in ebXML syntax and transport their messages
> using ebXML.

Yes, This would make a lot of sense. I think of TRP as RNIF on steroids. The
reason for this is that most of the engineers that developed RNIF were also on
the TRP team. (A mighty fine piece of work). However, I would expect that their
specs would stop where they do now with the FSV, which is Protocol Neutral.
There would then exist a mapping specification (production rules) to map the PIP
Spec into the BP schema. In this way the PIPS can be used in other industry
segments like the ITU and TMForum. Also, by architecturing it this way, we show
an example that other forums can follow for the same purpose.

> 4. OAGI has stated all along that they only do messages. They have already
> endorsed ebXML and are planning to support the TRP and the BP specification.
> They may have other plans, but these I know for a fact.
>
> >From my perspective ebXML is a unifying force not another standard that
> customers need to deal with.

I couldn't agree with you more. As I indicated earlier, we coming closer and
closer and ebXML has been a catalyst just for that.

Jim Clark

> Kind regards,
> Kurt Kanaskie
> Lucent Technologies
> kkanaskie@lucent.com
> (610) 712-3096

begin:vcard
n:Clark;James
tel;cell:936.524.4424
tel;work:936.264.3366
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:I.C.O.T.
adr:;;10987 Quinlan N Lake;Conroe;TX;77303;
version:2.1
email;internet:jdc-icot@lcc.net
title:Principal Consultant
fn:James Clark