Subject: Re: issue 57 on security parameters

Jim,
I see what you mean. Persistent/Transient, while not necessarily directly
technology related, certainly are related to the software stack, and we have
to decide whether that is a good thing to specify in a business process or
not.

Here is my personal interpretaion (Chris, correct me if it is different from
yours). Persistent means "all the way into the application space", and
Transient means, "transport level" only. The business equivalent of this might
be Persistent meaning "TrustedParty to TrustedParty", vs. Transient meaning
"Firewall-to-Firewall". For instance exchange of personal health information
from a doctor to an insurance company might need to be "TrustedParty to
TrustedParty", meaning that no-one but the doctor and the claim adjustor are
allowed to see it, whereas a purchase order between two companies probably is
probably only required to be secure "Firewall-to-Firewall" (if that).

Regardless of our decision on the boolean-vs-threeway value, we should decide
whether it makes sense to have a catch-all flag at transaction level, while
maintaining individual flags for TamperProof, Authenticated, Confidential at
the DocumentFlow level, and if so, we need to describe the override
relationship between the two.

-karsten